These chocolate protein bars are gluten-free, grain-free, can easily be made vegan, and make an awesome balanced macro snack. You can make these as part of meal prep, or enjoy them as a healthy treat that tastes like dessert.
Hi friends! How’s the morning treating ya? Thank you for all the well wishes for the doc yesterday. I had a great appointment, and feel a thousand times better about things. I really appreciate those of you who sent a little note.
This week, we’ve been back in the swing of life and back to the usual crazy routine. It’s Liv’s LAST week of kindergarten (hold meeeee), and then we’re catapulting right towards summer mode. I can’t wait! With everything we have going on, I like to think my snack game has been pretty strong this week! The past few weeks I found myself skipping meals because I was either stressed with the doctor stuff or I hadn’t planned ahead, and then made it up with chocolate-covered pecans later. (Probably the #3 thing I’ll miss the most about Valdosta when we leave. Good thing they ship, ha.) This week, I’ve loaded up the fridge with chopped veggies, homemade hummus, turkey meatballs (I’ll share the recipe soon!) and old blog favorites, like these ridiculous chocolate protein bars.
These are super easy to put together, and I love that they have a natural sweetness + awesome texture from baked sweet potato. They’re a great component for meal prep, plus are gluten-free and balanced in macros.
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to give them a try!
- 1/3 C sweet potato flesh (from a large baked sweet potato. The canned stuff doesn’t taste as good)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 chocolate bar, melted (can use a double-boiler if you’re feeling fancy, or a glass bowl in the microwave. Microwave the chocolate in 30 second intervals, stopping to stir in between)
- 2 scoops protein powder of choice (I used vanilla Garden of Life; chocolate would be awesome, too)
- 1/3 C brown rice flour (or any gluten-free flour)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 t baking powder
- pinch salt
- pinch cinnamon
- Sweetener of choice if needed (maple syrup, honey, Stevia, coconut sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a small baking dish (I used an 8×8 dish) with nonstick spray or coconut oil.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour mixture into the baking dish and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the “cake” comes out clean.
- To make these vegan, make sure to use a vegan chocolate bar, and substitute 3 chia or flax eggs for the regular eggs. To make the flax or chia egg, combine 3 tablespoons of either chia or ground flax with 3 tablespoons water.
Nutrition stats can be found here. (6 servings // 88 cal per serving // 10g carb // 5g protein // 3g fat // WW smart points: 3)
Please let me know what you think.
Have a happy Tuesday and I’ll see ya in the morning with a new workout!
Photos: Ari at Well Seasoned